View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Romulan Fleet Status, 4-25

It was decided by Command earlier this evening that we will not initially be creating a Romulan Fleet.

In terms of game mechanics, Romulan Fleets don't actually exist. Romulans are a faction in terms of PvE; they have unique races, unique ships and equipment, a unique storyline, and unique social areas. But on the PvP side of the game, there is no Romulan faction. This is where choosing your allegiance comes in as a Romulan player.

So, yes, you can say it is only a half-faction. But don't let this disappoint you. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the content I have played through on the Tribble server explains this in an extremely satisfying manner - the 'Allies' mission arc for beginning Romulans is probably better than 'The Fek'Ihri Return' arc on the KDF side of the game. Your choice as a Romulan to ally with one side or the other is well explained, and more importantly, actually makes sense.

In game terms, you partially become either Federation or Klingon. If you choose Federation, for example, you can join a federation fleet, you can group with other federation players, you gain access to some of their gear, and you fight with them on pvp encounters. You are still Romulan, and you have benefits a federation player does not have - such as Romulan ships and traits, and access to unique Romulan areas, episodes, and doff assignments - but for all intents and purposes, if you and four other Federation aligned Romulans go and create a fleet at Romulan Command, you are not creating a truly Romulan fleet - you are creating a Federation Fleet that is composed of only Romulans. You could, after formation, invite non-Romulan federation players to your Fleet, and you would have access to Federation construction projects.

This mechanic is frustrating at first, but it's important to understand Cryptics motivation. The bottom line is that creating a true 3rd faction divides the player base. Right now, the split is roughly 80/20 federation players to Klingon players - a true 3rd faction would fracture things, and probably not for the better. You might be looking at a 70/15/15 split - less players for the existing two factions, and yet another weak faction to try and prop up. By making the KDF more appealing to a Romulan player by virtue of things like the Romulans trait bonus for cloaking, they may end up moving the balance in a better direction, maybe say 70/30 or better.

The bottom line of all this is simple, however. We have a federation fleet. We have a Klingon fleet. We will not be making another federation or Klingon fleet, just to fill it with Romulans only. Those of you who want to play a Romulan, I encourage you to do so, and I do encourage you to ally with the kdf - but, it is your personal choice as a player on which side to choose.

In the event that Cryptic ever revamps things and establishes a bona fide Romulan fleet system, a few of us got together earlier this evening and created a fleet called 'The 7th Legion.' This will reserve the name for us should the need ever arise for it.

Awarded:

Makes sense, for sure. I know for RP purposes, I'll be deleting/"re-creating" one of my Federation characters as a Romulan, allied with the Federation. Not sure beyond that at this point, as I have a decent number of KDF already.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it the way you did, and I'm sure the conversation at the command meeting had its share of headaches.

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:
and I'm sure the conversation at the command meeting had its share of headaches.

Actually, it went surprisingly smoothly. I think a lot of the guys already kind of knew how things were gonna work with the Romulans, and so this all made a lot of sense. Nobody wants to start another starbase.

Awarded:

So in practical sense you just did what was suggested in the other thread just didn't wait for the romulans... makes sense.

Awarded:

I like how this turned out. I know personally, i will have at least 1 Fed-Romulan (mainly for RP with my main), and one Klink-Romulan. I think this (along with the UI changes, i mean come on the Klink UI just burns your eyes) will breath some extra life into the 7th ITS.

Awarded:

Mr. Mercer started a forum on this "Creating a Romulan Fleet", and Mr. Augerson found a video interview with Daniel Stahl, and he plainly state all the things everyone is saying - but he adds one more caviate, the programming for a game that would introduce a truely functional 3 faction game would be impossible. PvPvP will never happen.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

xivim wrote:
i mean come on the Klink UI just burns your eyes

I've always liked the Red UI personally, KDF ship computers were always heavy red with slight orange.

Awarded:

FLTCPT JT Kerry wrote:
the programming for a game that would introduce a truely functional 3 faction game would be impossible. PvPvP will never happen.

44 years ago 3 men flew a glorified toaster run by a computer with the power of a Speak and Spell 384,000 kilometers through space to land on the Moon and return safely to Earth.

It's not impossible, they just don't want to expend the resources it would require.

Awarded:

Penny for NASA - check it out
Jason32
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Of note...the 7th Legion name has been "reserved" within the live server for future use. So at some point we do decide to have a full Romulan fleet, the fleet name will be there waiting on us.

Jason32 wrote:
Of note...the 7th Legion name has been "reserved" within the live server for future use. So at some point we do decide to have a full Romulan fleet, the fleet name will be there waiting on us.

Echo

Awarded:

Some good answers about the Legacy of Romulus in a recent "Ask Cryptic"

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=875931

Also, some info in there about what lifetime and gold members will get when Legacy of Romulus goes live.[/url]

re: Re: Romulan Fleet Status, 4-25

sparrow794 wrote:
The bottom line of all this is simple, however. We have a federation fleet. We have a Klingon fleet. We will not be making another federation or Klingon fleet, just to fill it with Romulans only. Those of you who want to play a Romulan, I encourage you to do so, and I do encourage you to ally with the kdf - but, it is your personal choice as a player on which side to choose.

Thanks for filling us in. This must have given command a lot of headaches, so I appreciate the efforts to work through this.

Jump to: