View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: War in EVE

I was discussing with a couple of our newer members in Vent last night about my experiences in EVE, and I've obviously shared them with folks that have been in the fleet longer. I appreciate STO for the game it is and the people I play it with...but there's a different niche/need that EVE fills for me.

For example, this is the sort of thing you will never see in STO:

(Printed portions are excerpts from an AAR on the alliance forums)

0320 hrs - Allied fleet now all on grid in the safe POS. 1000+ pilots showing in local.

Forum Image

0322 hrs - TEST reported to by bridging out, 900+ pilots.

0343 hrs - Warping to the IHUB and shooting. Cynos up in system... Local growing.

0347 hrs - Tidi 90%, 1700+ pilots now in system. Hictors moving from fleet and setting up off fleet.

0351 hrs - Hostiles on grid, fleet warping back to safe POS. Tidi back under control, local has climbed to 1888 pilots.

0356 hrs - Local has climbed to 2023 pilots...

0402 hrs - Intel reports that TEST has bombed a bunch of PL domis... Fleets still holding in POS...

0405 hrs - Fleets warping to B-D gate and jumping out. Anchoring up on landing in B-D.

Tidi at 90%, slow loading as per normal.

0417 hrs - Fleet landing in B-D, anchoring on Laz.

0427 hrs - Hostiles now jumping to us, engagement has begun.

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

0655 hrs - Fleet aligning to J5A after destroying the majority of the small things on grid and a whole lot of battleships. Some of the hostile battleship fleet did escape. 1453 pilots in system.

0706 hrs - Fleet warping to J5A, the grid is broken off the station; fleet warped in two batches to the gate.

Intel has reported that hostiles saved PN and they got the IHUB repped in J5A, but the SBUs were not taken down. During the fight 5 systems in Fountain were also reinforced.

0712 hrs - On grid at the gate, we killed whatever was left at the gate. Zeroing on the gate and holding.

0717 hrs - Fleet jumping into J5A... No hostiles to speak of in J5A. Heading to the IHUB and putting it into reinforce.

0721 hrs - IHUB reinforced. Fleet warping back to B-D gate.

Looks like we lost about 60 tengus...

(End transcript excerpts)

So, for the uninitiated, those large "bubbles" you see in the pictures are warp disruption bubbles. They prevent the activation of a ship's warp drive while inside them; basically, your ship is stuck on field until you move out of one at sublight speed. In the bottom picture, you can make out the upper portion of a station, which is where you get to dock if given permission from whoever owns it.

In he 2nd, 3rd and 4th pictures, the larger ships you can see are battleship hulls; by quick count in the 3rd picture, I see at least 25, though it's quite possible there are more there, obscured by distance.

The comment from 0356 I emphasized, because that is quite possibly the most number of pilots ever squeezed into a system. Most systems, even the notorious trading hub, Jita, rarely see more than 1,000. Each pilot represents a unique account (though not necessarily a unique player).

The term "tidi" is short hand for time dilation, a game mechanic CCP (the creators/distributors of EVE) devised to level the playing field when there is significant lag in game, due to excessive numbers of players, their ships and other objects that accompany them in system. It essentially slows all actions down for everyone, so that no one person is more detrimentally affected by the lag than anyone else.

Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

This looks amazing and impossible all at once.

Is Eve a total 360 degree environment (full 3-D)? Can you do full vertical loops with your ships? STO is a 2-D environment. You can spiral up, but no vertical loops.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

It is full 3D, but you don't have a real, direct way of controlling your ship. You tell it what to do in relation to another ship or object, such as orbit, keep at distance, approach, etc. You can double-click in a rough direction to send your ship that way, but it's far from precise.

Awarded:

To possibly give things scale/perspective, here's the killboard from that particular fight:

LOTS of ships

Awarded:

Worth the 37 minutes and change to watch; Rooks and Kings are considered to be one of the premiere combat alliances. They are often on the forefront of developing new tactics. (The first 2 minutes are not from EVE - I presume it's used to set the scene.)

Awarded:

Another video that shows why RnK are a top notch alliance (this is the one I mentioned in Vent tonight):

You know something I would love to have in STO from Eve?

The contact list. The ability to not only sort what is around you in an easy to click format but also the ability for a squad leader to designate specific targets.

xlxMAVERICxlx

I read an article about a massive war on EVE that I found interesting. Game Informer interviewed the instigater and he said the war invoked close to 100,000 pilots. EVE is crazy.

Awarded:

One of the things I find interesting is that you can actually determine a rough real world monetary value for ships that are destroyed. You do this by taking the in-game ISK (currency) value of the ships lost, dividing that by around 545,000 ISK, the current value in-game of a PLEX (Pilot License EXtension, or 30-day sub). Each PLEX costs $15 to purchase.

Keeping those numbers in mind, take a look at my alliance's killboard.

The most expensive kill/loss was for a Nyx supercarrier, valued at 19.97 billion ISK.

That means it would take the sale of a little over 36,000 PLEXes to finance the purchase of the ship and its fittings (36,642.2, to be precise). That means that ship had a value of $549,633 (unless my calculations are off).

Awarded:

You know a video game event is huge when it gets a mention on BBC:

Article

Damn is all I can say. Would love to play Eve if only I had the funds/time to do so.
CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot myself but same boat Ryo. Although I've read several articles before how there is a lot of grief for new players.

Awarded:

Huckabee40 wrote:
I wouldn't mind giving it a shot myself but same boat Ryo. Although I've read several articles before how there is a lot of grief for new players.

To a certain extent, yes. However, there has been so much published online about the player environment in EVE that if a player hasn't done their homework, well, they are kinda setting themselves up for whatever happens. More than any other MMO I can think of off the top of my head, having a corp (guild/fleet/etc) to back you up, as well as other contacts you can rely on, is exceedingly important.

I've said it before and will continue to say it: EVE is a game that rewards people that pay attention, learn and aren't mouth-breathing "pubbies."

Awarded:

A nicely written summary of the "why" behind the battle, as well as how CCP manages such large scale battles can be found here.

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:

I've said it before and will continue to say it: EVE is a game that rewards people that pay attention, learn and aren't mouth-breathing "pubbies." and dont alt tab during missions

You forgot that part

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: