Forum Image

/PRIORITY ROUTINE
STARDATE 2413.09.29
MSGID ADMIN
TO ALL HANDS
FR 7HQ
SUBJ 3rd QTR WARGAMES WINNER'S AND SUGGESTION THREAD

Fellow 7th Fleet Members,

Now that this quarter's Operation Aries Quarterly Wargames is complete and in the books, I would like to take a moment to recognize the space and ground winners.

Forum Image

Fleet Captain Shackelford
Fleet Captain Ganos Lal
Fleet Captain Davis
Commander Ben Jiinan

Forum Image

Captain Runaz
Fleet Captain JT Kerry
Commander Mark Speed

Additionally, I would invite each of you to submit suggestions to make the wargames better. All suggestions will seriously be considered. You can reply to this thread or feel free to PM me if you want to remain anonymous.

One suggestion is the ground kill count. Reducing from 30 in order to save time.

//HQ SENDS

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Wargames Winner's and Discussion Thread

It doesn't happen very often, but we do sometimes have less-than-max level characters participating. For space, I'd like to put out the idea for discussion of having all participants in that match "ship down" to an appropriate level ship. I know VAs will still have access to other Captain skills and traits the lower level doesn't, but it would, at least, limit their BOff abilities available.

Awarded:

Sorry about my conspicuous absence Saturday night. Was supposed to run a Bat'Leth tournament after the ground games. Got called into work for a server emergency [I'm a government IT contractor]. We can do it any time that is convenient and when there are enough bloodthirsty players around that want to compete.

I thought the Bat'Leth tournament was scheduled on 19 October

Jason32
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

COMO Kor wrote:
Sorry about my conspicuous absence Saturday night. Was supposed to run a Bat'Leth tournament after the ground games. Got called into work for a server emergency [I'm a government IT contractor]. We can do it any time that is convenient and when there are enough bloodthirsty players around that want to compete.

Isn't it scheduled for 19 October?

I had the U.S.S. Augusta stationed at Starbase Solurac. I was being kicked off the server and off Ventrillo, by the time I did sighned on i't was past 21.00 hrs.

It was changed to 19 October because with the new Wargames format(2 full brackets each night) their wouldn't be adequate time for the Bat'Leth on the same night. At least that was my understanding.

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Rules suggestion for Fleet wargames: on teams of 5, limit specializations to no more than 2 of one kind on a team. For example, no more than 2 Tactical, Science, or Engineers.

I talked briefly on the phone to Sapel [Bill] while I was still at work and he said that it seemed like the ground match was broken with multiple Engineers using mortars that could hit anywhere from anywhere on the interior map. That doesn't matter so much, even though it's broken, if both teams can at least do it. It sounded like there were 2 or 3 engineers on the other team that could do it in this case though, and no one on his team could, so his team had no chance. They apparently surrendered rather than continue to 30 kills.

I remember the last time I played ground in Wargames this happened to my group, too. There was no way we could make a stand because any defenses we tried to build just got blown up by mortars that were upstairs or around a corner, so we couldn't counter them.

You all may feel like the answer is to ban something that works that way. That is a valid approach, to try and make the wargames fun, I think. But, my advice is that we should consider running the wargames as anything goes because if we play in a PVP map outside our Fleet, no such rules would apply. We can still make it fun by team balancing and advising our players of the broken items in the game, like mortars, that exist. That way if one team equips them and one doesn't, well, too bad. They were warned that the exploit exists. All's fair in love and war and so on.

Maybe next time we pick teams have the pool of players divide into 3 groups, one for Tac, Sci and Eng and pick from them. Just limit your picks to 2 max from each pool. Could be fun both for ground and space.

Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

davisjm0311 wrote:
It was changed to 19 October because with the new Wargames format(2 full brackets each night) their wouldn't be adequate time for the Bat'Leth on the same night. At least that was my understanding.

Ah OK good I thought I had missed being there for something I was supposed to run, I feel much better now. Sorry about the confusion.

Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

A few observations from a Fleet nOOb, and a veteran.

I enjoyed the war games very much, but I went in with very low expectations for myself. I figured I would get my butt handed to me, and I would die gloriously in a giant ball of flame quite often, and in the first match I did.

I did learn a lot in that match. Specifically this:
1. If I wasn't a Romulan, I would have died many more times. In the first match, I dies 5 times. In the second match, I did not die, and was second in healing and second in damage. So I did get better.

2. We had no chance whatsoever against our foes, and never did. We had no kills in either match, and that tells me we could do better at making the teams. I think initially that teams should be set based on who confirms they are attending. Our group had 2 fairly new people, against 4 people who it appeared had much more experience. The teams could be adjusted based o who is there when the games start.

3. I am transferring my flag to another ship, and saving my fleet Mogai for when I have more experience. I will be on the R.R.W. Imperitor for quite some time, and may even make it my main ship.

4. Rest assured, next time, I will be ready for you all. I will still die gloriously, but I will be a major pain in the butt.

I will be staying with my Romulan as my main character. Even in my Odyssey, I would have had no chance in this setup.
I truly had a good time, and hope that by next time, people will actually know me, . I really like this fleet, and I am in for the long haul.

I also want to thank the kind people who have helped me out by giving advice and gear to a poor, misguided Romulan.

I will be on vent a lot more. After finding my headphone cord chewed through last night, I got Razer Krakkens. If anyone needs a helping hand, please let me know. I go to bed during the week at 11:00, due to work in the morning. If I am online, I am always willing to help.

Lt Vashaar
CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

I agree with Kor on trying to make the teams even with character branches. I know I never cared for the ground matches in the wargames because of the very thing he is talking about it. Those on my teams in the past can tell you there have been several times I ordered them to their deaths to get the ground over with just so we could take the other team again in space.

This would also help balance the space portion as well. I don't know if anyone ever paid it much thought but it's what I always tried with my teams. If Jason or p'Rett(on a Sci) were up for pick I always snatched them since Sci's are limited in the fleet. If I got them or didn't, I always had a balance of Tac and Eng to go along. Sure I know how to fly, but I knew how to build the team around what I had.

Doing the divide would also prevent a build up of the Aux to Batt Tech builds by Tac captains on a single team. You all know what I'm talking about. Doing the branch divide would prevent my suggestion of banning the build.

My only other suggestion is to get the on time thing straight or not. Either we allow people to show up after start time or we don't. I know if I showed up during the middle of picks all hell would be raised to prevent the current picking Capt from picking me up. It simply puts the other teams at a disadvantage when a strong player shows up during the middle of the draft when the other Capts probably would of picked that player already. The past 2 wargames are proof enough that it makes it difference, which I would be happy to go in detail if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

My suggestion on that is the overall Commander of the wargames, or someone who can look at the teams and tell which team would need help, picks where that player will go after all people who were on time is picked, instead of him being picked from the pool as well. That will help with balance and also allow people who do show up late due to any RL issue still get to participate.

That's my 2 cents on things in short. I'm all about making things PvP wise fun and balanced. Those closes matches are what brings out the true spirit of the games and gave me the most pleasure when I was playing.

Awarded:

First I have to apologize to the team I was on Friday night.

I completely Brain Farted and thought we were done for the night. It wasn't until I was on my way back from dinner that my slow wits were trying to process how we were going to do the second part when Sat was ground (which I also apologize for missing)
I am sorry gentlemen.

On picking teams for the next one, I agree with splitting the pool into branches to pick from for space and ground.

Again my Apologies.

Awarded:

Huckabee40 wrote:

My only other suggestion is to get the on time thing straight or not. Either we allow people to show up after start time or we don't. I know if I showed up during the middle of picks all hell would be raised to prevent the current picking Capt from picking me up. It simply puts the other teams at a disadvantage when a strong player shows up during the middle of the draft when the other Capts probably would of picked that player already. The past 2 wargames are proof enough that it makes it difference, which I would be happy to go in detail if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

This is all fine and dandy but then I suggest we start at 6:30 pst/9:30 est so that those of us who can not get home from work until 10 after 6 est can participate in events also.

Awarded:

How's this for an idea:

Pick the team captains, they will lead the team... (given)

now, each team captain will draw lots or be given the number for their team...

Team captain Alpha will now pick the player for team captain Bravo,
Team captain Bravo will now pick the player for team captain Charlie,
continue until last team captain picks for team captain Alpha,
continue until all players are picked.

Awarded:

on the splitting of classes to make it more even. What if we have a large number of tactical officers show up to do the war games, and very few engineers and science, are you going to force me to go get my engineer to make it more even? I don't think so. Yes I think maybe we should try and keep people like me and john on different teams, but it was just like when huck flew with us. we were told to keep huck and I of the same team.

on a different note. John Davis and I offered to give people some last minute training the week before the war games. NO ONE other than J.C. Addams took us up on the offer. I had to twist his arm a bit to get him into a match with me :P, but we discussed maneuvering and what to run when. we discussed a few different tweaks to his build, and then tested them. he was able to take this training (30 minutes) and perform far better that I had expected in the war games. He was supposed to be a primary target in our match with him, but he was harder to kill than expected and did more damage than we expected.

We could have given the same pointers to people, no matter what level they are. My team had three vets and one newbie. The new guy was under geared, and under skill in boff skills. He was the primary target for the other team. so we rectified that between rounds. We then told him during the battles, what skills to use, what tactics to use, when to escape, and when to reengage. Those newer folks to the fleet could have utilized our knowledge. It might not have changed the outcome of the games completely, but it might have been a close fight for some.

The offer still stands, if you want to learn from john and I we are willing to help teach people different tactics and different builds. If you don't like our builds or our way of playing that's fine. You pay to play this game , play it the way you want. We just want to give you the same opportunities we were given to advance our understanding of the game.

Last edited by Ganos Lal on 09/29/13 17:20; edited 1 time in total

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: