View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: USS Revere

Mr. Kor finally settled on a federation ship for his patch; though being in command of the ITS he typically is more involved on that side of the house.

This is a simple design modeled after the patch for the USS Paul Revere (LPA-248).

Forum Image

The only thing of note here is that this overall patch shape is probably the first one I've made where I didn't use any preformatted shapes in photoshop. Circles and other basic shapes are usually easy enough to create, but for things like the shapes of the banners (or for patches that are not circular) I am often using downloaded files from other artists to get the shapes I need. In this case I tried my hand making them from scratch; it was an interesting learning process.

The shape of Paul Revere here is from an 1899 sculpture by Cyrus Dallin:

Forum Image

And finally, the ship itself is represented below Revere.

Forum Image

Awarded:

re: USS Verita

While this is Runaz's second patch, I certainly felt like he'd earned it. In any case, I wasn't particularly fond of his initial patch (The USS Jennifer); and beyond that - much like the Johnnie Hammons patch - this was a more personal request.

The motto, as relayed to me by Mr. Runaz, is a statement from a eulogy for a friend. His only other request was the use of a Nodachi; an ancient japanese great sword that is something of a precursor to the more widely known katana. The crossed nodachi's display prominently on the patch here, creating the lower border of the central area and dissecting the motto and fleet insignia.

The use of Saturn in the central patch area is a reference to the idea of truth; in mythology, Saturn was the father of Veritas, the goddess of truth.

Forum Image

Awarded:

re: USS Oklahoma City

This is the first patch I've designed for the Veteran Chimera Destroyer, a vessel with some fairly unique capabilities which are represented in the patch's design. The overall design is based on the actual patch for the USS Oklahoma City (CLG-5):

Forum Image

In the case of the STO patch, the shape of the Chimera is front and center. Two oversized lances represent the Chimera's special ability in Tactical Mode, the Phaser Lotus. Behind the Chimera the shape of the shield - as well the ring outside the ship itself - represent the Chimera's special ability in Regenerative Mode, the Tachyon Inversion Beam, which strips shields from opponents and augments the Chimera's own shielding. The lances visually split the shield into the four facings we are familiar with in game terms, with each quadrant displaying the registry and motto.

Forum Image

Awarded:

re: USS Tarawa

Patch requests aren't necessarily created in the order they are requested, and when Mr. Davis was made Ops officer, I pushed his patch request to the head of the line. Rank should have some privileges.

The patch itself is loosely based on version of the patch for the USS Tarawa (LHA-1):

Forum Image

The eagle is the prominent symbol in both of these patches. Above the motto on the STO patch are three stars meant to represent the 'former' vessels of the same name:

U.S.S. Tarawa, Aircraft Carrier (CV-40) comissioned in 1946.

U.S.S. Tarawa, Amphibious Assault Ship (LHA-1) commisioned in 1976.

U.S.S. Tarawa (NCC-82143), Iwo Jima Class Assault Ship, launched in the 24th century (2377).

Some of the initial feedback on the release of the patch seemed to remind people of a police style patch, even so far as to compare it to something from the Judge Dredd comics. Personally, after finishing it, it made me think of Wing Commander for some reason. Also,

Forum Image

disagrees.

Forum Image

Quote:
The Battle of Tarawa was largely fought on the island of Betio, from November 20 to November 23, 1943 in the Gilbert Islands, in the Pacific Theatre of WWII. Betio is the largest island in the Tarawa Atoll. The small, flat island lies at the southernmost reach of a lagoon, and was home to the bulk of the Japanese defenders. Shaped roughly like a long, thin triangle, the tiny island is approximately two miles long. It is narrow, being only 800 yards wide at the widest point.

The Japanese Commander had encouraged his troops saying "it would take one million men one hundred years" to conquer Tarawa.

The American invasion force to the Gilberts was the largest yet assembled for a single operation in the Pacific, consisting of 17 aircraft carriers, 12 battleships, 8 heavy cruisers, 4 light cruisers, 66 destroyers, and 36 transport ships. On board the transports was the 2nd Marine Division and a part of the Army's 27th Infantry Division, for a total of about 35,000 troops.

The Marines started their attack from the lagoon at 09:00. The reef proved a daunting obstacle. Only the tracked LVT "Alligators" were able to get across. The Higgins boats were unable to clear the reef. As the LVTs made their way over the reef and into the shallows they had a myriad of holes punched through their non-armored hulls, and many were knocked out of the battle. Those 'Alligators' that did make it in proved unable to clear the sea wall, leaving the men in the first assault waves pinned down against the log wall along the beach. A number of 'Alligators' went back out to the reef in an attempt to carry in the men who were stuck there, but most of these LVTs were too badly holed to remain sea worthy, leaving the Marines stuck on the reef some 500 yards off shore. Half of the LVTs were knocked out of action by the end of the first day.

The island was declared secure at 1330 on November 23. Of the 3,636 Japanese that made up the garrison, only one officer and sixteen enlisted men were willing to surrender. The Marines suffered 894 killed in action and 2,188 men were wounded in the battle.

Last edited by sparrow794 on 10/04/13 16:41; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

re: USS Sojourn

Mister T'vaans request simply asked for the IDIC symbol to be included in the patch somewhere; his character is Vulcan (in case the Vulcan style character name didn't give it away).  He flies an odyssey class cruiser.

I decided to use the IDIC symbol as the shape off the overall patch.  The patch itself is very Vulcan in theme; the name of the ship appears in Vulcan script beneath the English spelling.  The inner circle of the patch behind the odyssey shape (where the 'fleet 7' appears) is actually a map of the planet Vulcan's surface.  The background of the patch is just a cracked red stone texture with a red brushed metal inset which is slightly pitted as to appear aged.  The runes along the outer edge and laid over the Vulcan map are simple runes that are not necessarily Vulcan in nature, but they add to the overall ancient and mystic feel of the patch.  The section where the ship name and hull number appear is backed by a muddied piece of sheet music.  It is a nod to the IDIC philosophy; there is an eastern philosophical quote which essentially says something along the lines of 'there are only 7 notes, but their combinations are infinite' - the quote goes on to include the same idea with other sense, such as color (sight) or taste.

Awarded:

re: USS Ticonderoga

The Fleet Admiral asked for an update to his patch similar to the Deputy Commander - he just wanted a small change.  In this case, he wanted to remove the FA rank symbol from the bottom of the patch and replace it with a Fleet 7.

It's actually much more difficult to try and reproduce something than it is to start from scratch; however, these kinds of challenges are what open doors in the software for me.  I was forced, in this instance, to learn a completely new tool in photoshop, which will be incredibly useful in the future.

Historical patch image included below.

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: