View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnbeaird67

re: How was the name chosen for the fleet?

How was the name chosen for the fleet? Because the fleet follows the Navy's 7th fleet closely, I was wondering any of you might have served or is now  in the 7th Fleet of the Navy.

CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

Fleet Admiral and Deputy Commander, if not mistaken on him, are both retired from the Navy.  If either or one served in the 7th Fleet I don't know.  I do know the FA was a Blue Angel at one point.  At least that what he told me once.   They have both been in charge of the fleet since it's creation so they have a more clear cut answer when they get around to it.  I know Mercer is an original member since birth too so he might know.  Other then that the only thing I can tell ya is most of us in the fleet have served/currently serving in the military from all branches.

My first assignment after CTA "A" School was 7th Fleet Staff, embarked aboard the U.S.S. Oklahoma City (CG-5).  She was homeported in Yokosuka, Japan.  That was back in 1977.  Since my "A" was only six weeks long, when I reported aboard, I was still an E-1; hence, that began my nickname/handle "E-1."  In late 1978, the Flag was shifted to the U.S.S. Blue Ridge (LCC-19) and the "Okie Boat" was sent back to the States after 17 years of being forward deployed.  Your first ship is like your first women, you never forget her; hence, my own Fleet ship is named in dedication to her service to the U.S. 7th Fleet and many found memories of a young man at sea.   During my 2 years on C7F Staff, I got to go from the Sea of Okhotsk to the Southern Ocean and everything in between.    How many guys do you know have had their 18th Birthday parties in Subic City, Philippines?  BTW, the stories are true. ;)

From Com7thFlt, I went to Korea and served on the staff of Commander, Naval Forces Korea; all 200 of us.  After my year in Korea, I volunteer for a 18 month tour at Clark Air Base, Philippines.  Doesn't fit anymore, but I still have my ROK Naval Jacket with WESTPAC on the back.  Then my mean old Detailor made come back to the U.S. and I found myself working at the Puzzle Palace (NSA) at Fort George G. Meade, MD.   Talk about culture shock. 

BTW, are there any Trusty Shell-backs here? 

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: