View previous topic :: View next topic  
you-kick-my-dog

re: Foundry Mission : Drone and sunder

Hey all ive created a foundry mission called drone and sunder.....short hand: you are called upon to destroy a drone ship...its space combat with a story based twist. Id really appreciate  if you guys could play through it and tell me what you think...if you like it ive been making foundry missions for some time and can recommend more!   (author: Mozzelli title: Drone and sunder)

Cheers,

Kick

Gerron Vek

re: Re: Foundry Mission : Drone and sunder

you-kick-my-dog wrote:

Hey all ive created a foundry mission called drone and sunder.....short hand: you are called upon to destroy a drone ship...its space combat with a story based twist. Id really appreciate  if you guys could play through it and tell me what you think...if you like it ive been making foundry missions for some time and can recommend more!   (author: Mozzelli title: Drone and sunder)

Cheers,

Kick

Will do.  I was looking for something to do tonight.  I'll post up my feedback tonight

you-kick-my-dog

re: Re: Foundry Mission : Drone and sunder

Gerron Vek wrote:
you-kick-my-dog wrote:

Cheers,

Kick

Will do.  I was looking for something to do tonight.  I'll post up my feedback tonight

Thanks man much apriciated (also im finding a few spelling errors as i go so if you come across them please log them so i know where they are!)

Gerron Vek

Going to make notes as I go.

1.  Your intro screen needs to be broken into paragraphs.  Also the part where you are telling the player where to go should be colored green so it stands out more and prevents confusion.

2. The mission objective should say 'Make contact with Val Threlli in the Kai system'   Always tell the player where to go on the sector maps.

3. When warping into the system there should be some sort of message filling in the player on what he should do.   Vel should contact the player and ask him to meet him at the station.  IT doesn't need to be fancy but it does help with the transition into the map.

4.  The waypoint to the station is out in space and is quite small.  Also the station appears to be clipping into the planet.   You might want to move the station out a little bit and expand the radious of that first waypoint so it triggers when you get close to the station as opposed to finding a small spot on the map.

5. Show stopper bug.   The first waypoint to contact the station is either broken or so small that I can't find it.   I cannot continue the mission.

Let me know when you fix the show stopper and I'll give it another try.

you-kick-my-dog

Fixed all mentioned, give it a go. Also im considering making the mission longer or  making a part 2 to it....let me know what you think after you're done!

Gerron Vek

OK starting a new list.

1. The Third paragraph in the initial hail should be colored green.

2.  I like the dialog when you enter the mission but it is worded rather strange.  Consider rewording it something like this.  'Iapetus welcome to station (I forget the stations name).   Dr Val Kellian has been expecting you.   We are sending navigational data for your approach.'

3.  When you are first contacted by Vel  my option is to respond with  'Not just let.'   It should be 'Not just yet.'

4.  I found the briefing to be hard to read.  You might want to look at the formatting.   Also it might be a nice touch to add an optional dialog box where I can ask about who Dr Thallien is.  If you do add optional questions make sure you make the choices that progress the dialog chain as green.

*spoilers*

5.   Finished the mission.   you may want to review you dialog.   I get what you are going for here but I never really felt betrayed.   I never really got to know Val.  This was a big disconnect for me.   Since he is central to the betrayal plot the player needed some information on who he was, or at least who he was saying he was.  Hints along the way starting from the mission accept screen that give you clues on why Starfleet is trusting him and what his actual job is.   It would set up the betrayal/trap alot better.  

I also felt uneasy about the choice to make him a Solone and the Aretype Tholion also felt strange.   The Aretype guy could be left a mystery for use in a future episode.  Who is he,  what are tehir goals,   What is their relationship with the Tholians.   IT would be really interesting to explore those topics in a seperate mission with this as the setup.    As for Val being a  Solone.   I feel like you are treading on Cryptics toes a little.   The Iconions and Solone are important parts of the emerging plot for STO.    While I understand your desire to use them  it might work better if Val is a Subserviant race that is using Solone technology.    That would open up new area of mystery.  Why are they using Solone technology.   What is their relation with the Solone.  Make him a unique race that you can expland on in future stories.

Actually fighting the drone fleet was fine.   I like the idea of having shops of different races fighting you.   A few recommendations though

In the initial briefing you might mention tha tthe drone ship is already gathering ships.   You can do this by rewording the description of what the Andorian Suite is.    In the briefing describe what it was supposed to be.  Then describe how it is gone wrong.  Finally talk about hwo it is already amassing ships to give the mission urgency.

When you spawn into the system where the fight takes place you are placed in the misddle of the fight.   Give the player a chance to analyze the situation and then move in to attack.   On warp in have the science officer make his comment then about how strange it is to see Tholian ship here.   Some dialog about how they seem to be fighting the drone ships might be useful as well.   I thought that it was a bug they were fighting each other until I got to the last dialog box.

As to your question on weather you should make it longer or make a part 2.  I would recommend a part 2.   Let this be the hook.  There is some combat and the potential for some interesting new races to discover if you work it right.     Its not a super long mission which is something I like in a Founfry mission.   It hit just the right amount of length for me.

In future missions I would like to learn more about the two races you have created in this mission.

you-kick-my-dog

im taking it down to do some work on it now ill post here when its back up tomrrow.

I wanted to use the solane because it give those of us that are hungry for more story something to chew on until February.

Go more indepth about the arcatype tholian, what do you mean.

Regarding the dialog i have to thank you having someone else look at it with fresh eyes is alot better then me playing through it 10 times hoping i fined everything

you-kick-my-dog

Never mind it back up with cha cha cha changes (sorry couldnt resist) give it a go!

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

you-kick-my-dog wrote:

Regarding the dialog i have to thank you having someone else look at it with fresh eyes is alot better then me playing through it 10 times hoping i fined everything

Lol has a fellow foundry author I can't tell you how many times I've played and re-played my missions both live and through the editor.

Good god playing through the editor is worse then getting teeth pulled...sometimes it takes all characters in to account....other times not so much...

you-kick-my-dog

Alteration: Ive redone the Aractype tholian to make him seem like a more credible and intelligent frenemy

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Foundry All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: