View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Our 7th Fleet (soap box time)

If I'm stepping on the toes of the Command Staff, I apologize. My intent for this post is to remind folks of a few things, and, if needed, get some things aired out in a civil and respectful manner.

When all of us chose to join the 7th Fleet, we were made aware of the nature of this Fleet, the expectations we have of our leadership and members, and how the Fleet was to be run. The fact that the STO 7th Fleet holds no real authority over you is of minor consequence, because when you joined, you made a compact with this Fleet, its leadership and its members. The Fleet, in turn, made a compact to provide you with a certain atmosphere and a place to call home, as well as provide content for Fleet members to participate in.

One of the basics of running this Fleet in a military manner is the chain of command. Anyone that's served in the military should be very familiar with what the chain of command is, and I don't mean what Jayne Cobb said in "Firefly." Though, there have been times that application has been tempting. One of the purposes of the chain of command is to get issues resolved at the lowest possible level. Simply put, if you and another Fleet member have an issue, be mature enough to get it sorted out between the two of you. If need be, grab a third person to act as a neutral mediator.

Another very important philosophy of this Fleet (and any military unit) is treating others in a respectful manner. Yes, we give each other good natured grief on comms and in the forums, but it's rarely of a malicious, hurtful nature. We're all people, and flawed by nature; no one is going to get it right all of the time. Hell, I've had to swallow my pride more than a few times and own up to the fact I was being an asshat. It's rarely comfortable or easy, but it's a sign of maturity and respect when you can do so with sincerity and conviction.

Player organizations, whether a Guild, Fleet, or Clan, that are run as well and with as much passion as the 7th are fairly rare, as any MMO veteran can tell you. Cherish what you have here and help sustain it as the treasure it is. It's because I care about the Fleet and its members that I have sometimes stepped in with tough love and perhaps seemingly harsh words to get folks' attention.

Officers of the 7th Fleet, let's not tarnish what we have with pettiness and bad blood.

Awarded:

I have been and and always shall be your friend. Well said Mark, well said...

Awarded:

Man, I missed something...again.

Awarded:

Valerien79 wrote:

Man, I missed something...again.

It's best to miss these things.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Edward Hau

Everything was handled properly and according to the chain of command by those that brought it to the chain of command.  Thank you for your concern, the matter should be closed. 

Awarded:

Edward Hau wrote:

Everything was handled properly and according to the chain of command by those that brought it to the chain of command.  Thank you for your concern, the matter should be closed. 

While this soap box episode was prompted by a recent event (which, as Mr. Hau has said, has been resolved), it's still worth reminding folks of from time to time.

re: I Love a Soap Box!!!

I've been in the fleet 5 minutes so have no idea what this issue was - or in fact what kind of thing could cause an 'issue' in this particular setting. 

Having just joined, let me bring my thoughts to bear - being a very fresh perspective to the gel that constitutes an STO fleet, an office, a business, a unit or any body of men (and women).

People will always come and go, join and leave, be active and be lax, be involved or observe. What counts is the experience we have in the here and now - and not much else. Things that enhance the experience are the spirit and traditions of the setting and a sense of comradery, in this case the STO band of gamers known as 'the 7th Fleet'. the Military / Regimental atmosphere and structure suits me personally... and I think suits the context of the game also.

The traditions I interpret are of service, in this case to your fellow officers (of any rank, particularly in the chain) and of respect, etiquette (very important), honesty and keeping your word (Integrity). If the focus of our gaming experience is based on these traditions (Service, Respect, Etiquette, Honesty, Integrity) then we cant stray too far off target - so its important to live and breathe these things when in action.

I am not surprised servicemen and ex-servicemen like myself are drawn here and stay, as birds of a feather flock together.

I like the time I spend on STO and I remember its just a game (MMO's can really pull you in!!!). I spend money on this and would like to get the most out of it. This Fleet adds a whole new and fantastic dimension to the experience for me. If it doesn't for you for whatever reason (even issues with an individual), ask yourself, do I fit into the spirit and traditions of this thing? Am I in keeping with these? Probably not if there is an issue, and there is a certain amount of your own part played in that result. Employ these traditions as soon as you feel something is not quite right and the issues should melt away without any loss of face or animosity. If you need a reminder - again, employ the traditions and absorb the ball breaking and you will without doubt earn respect and get a real boost as a result. I promise.

Officers only step in to remove dissension and drive us forward, dissension is infectious and causes decay. Decay is not Victory. We all desire Victory (STO victory conditions = having a good time).

I for one am glad to see I have joined something that keeps these simple things going, and enhances my game.

Now Bitches...

Play the game...

S&F, Ever Forward

John.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Fleet News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: