View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Dr. Collin McGee
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

re: Star Trek Beyond Trailer

7th., here's the new trailer. I know its just clips, but, it looks like it may be another heavy on SFX and thin on story. Either way, the trailer left me with, "uh, yeah..." LOL

discuss among yourselves...

Last edited by Dr. Collin McGee on 12/14/15 13:54; edited 1 time in total

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
you-kick-my-dog

Can we please have one jj-verse movie where the Enterprise doesn't get completely Rekt?

Jason32
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I am not sure what to think of this trailer...it looks like potential garbage.

Awarded:

I'll go see it but I am now prepared to be disappointed.  Oh well.

Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

not directed by jj .. wtf omg boo hiss *throws garbage at screen*

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Not as jazzed to see this one as previous entries; I agree, it'd be nice to not have a movie where the ship gets totally trashed.

Curious to find out if this is during or after their 5 year mission; I suspect during, as the one alien spouts, "This is where the frontier pushes back."

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

you-kick-my-dog wrote:

Can we please have one jj-verse movie where the Enterprise doesn't get completely Rekt?

Ya, I mean, that never happened before jj abrams.

Nimmoth wrote:

directed by jj, not directed by jj... you might be being sarcastic, but I'm sure there's people who would seriously agree with the fact that its going to suck because now jj isn't involved, and they are probably all the same people who didn't like it when he was.  Old fanbois with fond memories from their youth won't be happy until their personal fan-fiction gets made into a movie.

The new movies are just a mixed bag over all.  You wont be able to make everyone happy in this instance, either make something that will appease the older fan base and turn off the general population, or make a movie that will catch the general populations interest for all of 2.5 seconds and piss off the older fan base.  Im just shocked at all of the hate towards Sabotage and the Beastie Boys in the youtube comments.

Awarded:

Valeʼncynos wrote:

The new movies are just a mixed bag over all.  You wont be able to make everyone happy in this instance, either make something that will appease the older fan base and turn off the general population, or make a movie that will catch the general populations interest for all of 2.5 seconds and piss off the older fan base.  Im just shocked at all of the hate towards Sabotage and the Beastie Boys in the youtube comments.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same group of folks that utterly frothed at the mouth that "Enterprise" had a theme song with lyrics.

I mean you can have all the lens flair and Michael Bay explosions you like....just give me a solid plot line well written with heavy  dilemma of conscious .....

Nimmoth
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

sparrow794 wrote:

Nimmoth wrote:

directed by jj, not directed by jj... you might be being sarcastic, but I'm sure there's people who would seriously agree with the fact that its going to suck because now jj isn't involved, and they are probably all the same people who didn't like it when he was.  Old fanbois with fond memories from their youth won't be happy until their personal fan-fiction gets made into a movie.

no i was serious..i liked the previous entries and pretty much all his stuff...but i did hate enterprise's theme song..its been a long road...argh

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Dr. Collin McGee
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

you-kick-my-dog wrote:

I mean you can have all the lens flair and Michael Bay explosions you like....just give me a solid plot line well written with heavy  dilemma of conscious .....

I agree with you wholeheartedly!!! This Washington Post Op Ed piece, entitled "‘Star Trek’ is now basically ‘Fast and Furious’ in space", pretty much sums up how I feel about these movies.

‘Star Trek’ is now basically ‘Fast and Furious’ in space

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

kid3366 wrote:
you-kick-my-dog wrote:

I agree with you wholeheartedly!!! This Washington Post Op Ed piece, entitled "‘Star Trek’ is now basically ‘Fast and Furious’ in space", pretty much sums up how I feel about these movies.

‘Star Trek’ is now basically ‘Fast and Furious’ in space

While he is certainly entitled to his Op, I definitely do not agree with it.

For Lin now to push that even further just tells you how far the series has departed from its roots. The older "Star Trek" was slower to violence, quicker to introspection, more deeply embedded in its fictional universe, less devoted to knee-jerk emotional appeals. It had complicated characters, powerful narratives and grappled with mature issues without being pedantic. These qualities are largely lacking in the newer films.

Those were also set in a different contextual universe; yes, there had been war throughout its history, but mostly wars with enemies roughly on par, technologically speaking. The introduction of the Nerada and its much more advanced tech and the threat it presented changed their outlook and mindset. That, and the destruction of Vulcan, too.

This article provides some interesting thought on the matter: blog post (not mine)

I'll wait to reserve judgement on it, and really, how many "good" trek movies are there really? lol

Awarded:

Edward Hau wrote:

I'll wait to reserve judgement on it, and really, how many "good" trek movies are there really? lol

Depends on whether or not you're wearing your rose-colored glasses - though some even stink with those on.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: