View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
BigBob357

re: Some thoughts on the new skill system

So after playing with things on Tribble, reading just about everything I could, and comparing notes with others, I've come up with a few points that others may find useful. 

So for the LT level skills, MOST builds shouldn't need more than two points in any of the science and engineering skills. For the LT tactical skills, you should take all three levels of the appropriate damage type. 

You should have at least one point in Shield Regen. This skill is just too good not to. It's much different than it was.in the previous system where it was basically garbage. 

Long Range Targeting Sensors is a must for energy weapons. Take all thee points. The same goes for Hull Pen so take all three.

Warp Core Efficiency IWCE and Warp Core Potential will get you the best bang for your buck in terms of upping your power levels, so offensive/defensive tuning and the subsequent subsystems performance skills should only be selected if you need to boost a specific subsystem for specific types of builds in which case you should talk to Davis to figure out the best course of action. 

Coordination Protcals (and the two subsequent skills) are a pretty solid investment even if you don't have hangar pets. The 5% boost to allies and summons like Fleet support is just awesome. 

Drain and Control Expertise areally both great skill since they are technically two skills in one. Drain is Flowcaps and power insulators from the old system, and Control is Grav Gen and inertial dampeners. 

The Readiness skills are interesting. For those who fly ships with limited tactical abilities, Tac Readiness may be the answer to your prayers, but I won't go as far as to suggest putting point into this skill until there is better info.

Other skills worth investing in are Hull Plating (and to a lesser extent Ablative Hull), Shield Hardness, defensive maneuvering (I took two points), accuracy (if you do enough PvP to justify the expense). 

Skills to avoid except in certain circumstances would be Damage Control (just not worth the expense), Shield Mastery (if you don't do PvP since the enemy critical rate of enemy NPCs in PvE isn't high enough to be worth it), drain infection and control amplification (unless you're running abilities that will benefit from them like Grav Well and Energy Siphon respectively), 

Awarded:

Nice post, thanks Mr. Cain. I got 4/3 of the way through the 3.5GB upgrade, since I can't call it a patch at this point, and had to shut it down.  

I never leave a laptop on unattended - since about 5 yrs. back Dell batteries were found to explode.  I like my house.  I haven't started updating the desktop, but is is up and running with Vent STO and Star Citizen installed.  I was able to migrate my fresh install I recently did to an SSD.  Paragon Software has a product, Disk Copy, that worked flawlessly.

- Note: My desktop is a Frankenstein of Davis's old AMD based PC and my old PC - we had the same motherboard, but different everything else.  Davis, with enough parts to test everything out, I now know what your PCs problem was, one of the most difficult problems to prove because the cost of load testing over time or replacement to test can be prohibitive, it was the power supply.  It was randomly sending out spikes/surges that would blow the components: 2 mother boards, the water cooling system, I seem to remember a DIMM of memory and a high-end video card.  Star Citizen looks fantastic in Crossfire with the 2 R9 290s.  Mr. Davis, I owe you buddy.  Thanks, so much for donating your unused equipment. -

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

davisjm0311

FCPT JT Kerry wrote:

- Note: My desktop is a Frankenstein of Davis's old AMD based PC and my old PC - we had the same motherboard, but different everything else.  Davis, with enough parts to test everything out, I now know what your PCs problem was, one of the most difficult problems to prove because the cost of load testing over time or replacement to test can be prohibitive, it was the power supply.  It was randomly sending out spikes/surges that would blow the components: 2 mother boards, the water cooling system, I seem to remember a DIMM of memory and a high-end video card.  Star Citizen looks fantastic in Crossfire with the 2 R9 290s.  Mr. Davis, I owe you buddy.  Thanks, so much for donating your unused equipment. -

JT

The power supply was definitely one of the main suspects...

Glad you're able to use all of the parts, I'm quite happy with my new Intel/Nvidia build.

BigBob357

For the love of Kahless guys. Are you really gonna highjack my thread to talk about JT's comupter? Where the hell is Hau? He needs to scold the both of you. Lolz.

Speaking of hijacking...what are your thought on the movie Air Force One?

Edward Hau

FCPT JT Kerry wrote:

JT

Awarded:

OOPS!

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Lang S
Engineering - Vice Admiral

17,000 plus on my Miranda's Hull .......Only die on the second or third torpedo hit now. Thanks to the new skill update

Awarded:

nice lang! now we CAN send that fleet of mirandas 

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Lang S wrote:

17,000 plus on my Miranda's Hull .......Only die on the second or third torpedo hit now. Thanks to the new skill update

Just had an abstract thought, but Fleet Wargames, sometime in the future, with full updated gear, but with TOS ships (two forward, two aft)?

I have a K'Tanco Battle Cruiser, B'rel BoP, and K-7 in dry dock.

Note:  I have yet to implement the new skill updates on my toons.  Waiting for the STO PvP crowd to tell Cryptic what they need to fix/nerf to ensure their superiority on the battlefield.   Just doing Admiralty/Doff missions till then.    

What STO PvP'ers do in the real world.

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Z. Barrett
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Wupteedo wrote:

Note:   Waiting for the STO PvP crowd to tell Cryptic what they need to fix/nerf to ensure their superiority on the battlefield.  

If there is one thing Cryptic does with regularity, it is nerf players. I am still irritated about what they did with Ramming Speed five years ago...even moreso that they gave the un-nerfed version to Iconian Raiders to cheap them out with a spammable OHK regardless of build.

Admiral Barrett wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

Note:   Waiting for the STO PvP crowd to tell Cryptic what they need to fix/nerf to ensure their superiority on the battlefield.  

If there is one thing Cryptic does with regularity, it is nerf players. I am still irritated about what they did with Ramming Speed five years ago...even moreso that they gave the un-nerfed version to Iconian Raiders to cheap them out with a spammable OHK regardless of build.

Honestly cant tell if im doing better worse in some cases im a complete tank in a defiant....in other situations its wet tissue paper.....same with the drain....sometimes my dauntless gets a nice full drain completely cripples a ship other times its like those skills are worthless.....its too early for me to tell but ill probably be respecing

BigBob357

you-kick-my-dog wrote:
Admiral Barrett wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

Honestly cant tell if im doing better worse in some cases im a complete tank in a defiant....in other situations its wet tissue paper.....same with the drain....sometimes my dauntless gets a nice full drain completely cripples a ship other times its like those skills are worthless.....its too early for me to tell but ill probably be respecing

If you're not doing better, then you're doing something wrong. Yes, I am being an ass, but I'm also being serious. And you might as well drydock your drain build unless you slot every conceivable source of [DrainX]. 

Admiral Barrett wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

Ramming Speed? Really? Shame on you sir. 

BigBob357 wrote:
you-kick-my-dog wrote:
Admiral Barrett wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

If you're not doing better, then you're doing something wrong. Yes, I am being an ass, but I'm also being serious. And you might as well drydock your drain build unless you slot every conceivable source of [DrainX]. 

Shy of a plasmotic thats what i do the drain build works its just some times yes some times no now....same thing with the defiant...some times its a monster some times its wet tissue paper

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Ship Loadouts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: