View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Collin McGee
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

re: Captains of the 7th. Fleet, I Need Your Help!

I just, recently, realized that I hadn’t done this. For those who don’t know, I am 4 classes away from earning my Master’s degree in Organizational Leadership. This is a business degree and is the human resource management counterpart to the MBA and its figures and formulas. It is my intent to then pursue a PhD in the same discipline. I’m carrying a 4.0 GPA! I can’t seem to not feel the RPG in this and see this as Starfleet Command or War College.

There is another opportunity that has been presented to me. I may be joining the West Liberty University faculty as an adjunct professor in the Professional Studies department. Part of the certification for online courses is to create a class with curriculum and with this, I am requesting the assistance of the captains of the 7th. Fleet.

The title of the class that I’m planning is: Command Chair: Ethical Decision Making and Synergy for Professionals (Lessons from Star Trek).  I will be using episodes from the various television series to demonstrate and as cases for study of methods of synergizing for ethical solutions. The logic is that all the officers work for the same organization and operate under the same rules, however, due to personality, background and experience, these individuals have unique approaches.

Captains of the 7th., I would like to have some input on episodes that would be good examples of critical leadership (both effective and failing). I am confining the class to the TV series only , including the animated series. For instance, I am considering the TOS episode, “Galileo 7,” as an example of not understanding the position of the followers.

So, please, give me your input and thank you in advance.

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
FCPT. Mitchell. D. Ries
Tactical - Captain

I'll need a translation for the first paragraph from American education to Australian. As for the the last two I can keep an eye out for episodes like that, I want to rewatch TNG anyway haha 

Us crazy Aussies need to stick together
VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Awesome, congratulations on your excellent academic performance, Sir!  When is this due by?  I shall ponder it and keep an eye out for any good examples if I watch any episodes.  Oh The Tholian Web in TOS comes to mind, also, another case of Spock taking command and dealing with decisions that weigh various factors [crew safety vs saving the Captain].

Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

re: Re: Captains of the 7th. Fleet, I Need Your Help!

kid3366 wrote:

I just, recently, realized that I hadn’t done this. For those who don’t know, I am 4 classes away from earning my Master’s degree in Organizational Leadership. This is a business degree and is the human resource management counterpart to the MBA and its figures and formulas. It is my intent to then pursue a PhD in the same discipline. I’m carrying a 4.0 GPA! I can’t seem to not feel the RPG in this and see this as Starfleet Command or War College.

There is another opportunity that has been presented to me. I may be joining the West Liberty University faculty as an adjunct professor in the Professional Studies department. Part of the certification for online courses is to create a class with curriculum and with this, I am requesting the assistance of the captains of the 7th. Fleet.

The title of the class that I’m planning is: Command Chair: Ethical Decision Making and Synergy for Professionals (Lessons from Star Trek).  I will be using episodes from the various television series to demonstrate and as cases for study of methods of synergizing for ethical solutions. The logic is that all the officers work for the same organization and operate under the same rules, however, due to personality, background and experience, these individuals have unique approaches.

Captains of the 7th., I would like to have some input on episodes that would be good examples of critical leadership (both effective and failing). I am confining the class to the TV series only , including the animated series. For instance, I am considering the TOS episode, “Galileo 7,” as an example of not understanding the position of the followers.

So, please, give me your input and thank you in advance.

I currently have a Master's Degree in Military and Diplomatic History and I am currently working for a college, myself. As I am typing this, I am substituting for one of the full time professors. Get with me and I am confident that we can brainstorm some good material together for this. A good deal of my own work had to do with post-mortem analyses of conflicts and scrutinization of the faults in both military and civilian leadership. I would be happy to help you out with this.image

Congrats on the continuing education and the future PhD.

The bases for all leadership on Star Trek comes done to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru

The premise of the movie, Star Trek II: The Wraith of Khan, was based on this.  Does the needs of the many outweigh the news of the few, or the one? 

Episodes that come to mind that may or may not help you with your goal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_Terror

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever   (This should be made into an updated movie, without J.J., imho)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Galileo_Seven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corbomite_Maneuver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doomsday_Machine_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)

For alternate of Leadership, view any Star Trek episode featuring the "Mirror Universe."  "In the Mirror, Darkly" is probably one of my favorite episodes.   The ones listed above are for a more serious view of leadership and potential conflict situations; i.e. handling stress.  Look for some episodes that show the "fun" side of being a Captain on Star Trek. 

Of a non-Star Trek world, "The Enemy Below" comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemy_Below

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Dr. Collin McGee
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

Thank you, Captains!!! I have a large Summative Assessment final project due on Saturday and then a month off. I will be diving into your suggestion then. Once again, THANK YOU!

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Is there any way you can make it available for us to read after it's done? I know I would be interested in reading it.

I don't really traffic the forums much but this popped up under my login menu and looked like a distress signal so i clicked on it ;P

I'm saddened to see the complete lack of TNG references here!  Picard and Riker faced numerous difficult leadership situations throughout their extensive careers commanding the Enterprise D.  The one that comes to mind the quickest, as having two of the more intense scenarios, is the multi-part episode "Best of Both Worlds".  That's the one where the Federation tangles with the Borg who are heading for Earth, and there are two distinct moments where command decisions were extremely stressful.

One is when the Admiral from Starfleet Command orders the Enterprise D not to join the task force at Wolf 359 because they feel Picard's prior assimilation might pose a risk to the security of the other ships.  However, after losing contact with command, Picard and Riker decide it's more important to the safety of Earth that they override the Admiral's orders and try to go help since the last communication from the battle group sounded dire.  Under nearly all circumstances, orders are to be followed without question - but those rare instances where discretion is warranted are difficult and important to identify.

The second was after the Enterprise D arrived at Wolf 359, finding the task group devastated, Riker and his friend look at the USS Melborne's bridge - which had been sliced out and destroyed during the battle.  Earlier in the show, Riker was offered a promotion to Captain, with the opportunity to command the USS Melbourne but chose to turn it down to stay with his friends on Enterprise, against the direction of nearly everyone including Picard, who thought it was better for him to advance his career.  Would their fate have been different if he accepted the promotion and was commanding that ship instead of staying back on the Enterprise?  Would it have been the same and he'd have just died with them?  It's was one of the deepest and darkest moments of the show IMHO and just goes to show you that no matter how detailed the "standard" way of doing things is, fate can always keep you second guessing on whether or not you've made the right decisions...

Awarded:

Novin7 wrote:

I don't really traffic the forums much but this popped up under my login menu and looked like a distress signal so i clicked on it ;P

I'm saddened to see the complete lack of TNG references here!  Picard and Riker faced numerous difficult leadership situations throughout their extensive careers commanding the Enterprise D.  The one that comes to mind the quickest, as having two of the more intense scenarios, is the multi-part episode "Best of Both Worlds".  That's the one where the Federation tangles with the Borg who are heading for Earth, and there are two distinct moments where command decisions were extremely stressful.

One is when the Admiral from Starfleet Command orders the Enterprise D not to join the task force at Wolf 359 because they feel Picard's prior assimilation might pose a risk to the security of the other ships.  However, after losing contact with command, Picard and Riker decide it's more important to the safety of Earth that they override the Admiral's orders and try to go help since the last communication from the battle group sounded dire.  Under nearly all circumstances, orders are to be followed without question - but those rare instances where discretion is warranted are difficult and important to identify.

The second was after the Enterprise D arrived at Wolf 359, finding the task group devastated, Riker and his friend look at the USS Melborne's bridge - which had been sliced out and destroyed during the battle.  Earlier in the show, Riker was offered a promotion to Captain, with the opportunity to command the USS Melbourne but chose to turn it down to stay with his friends on Enterprise, against the direction of nearly everyone including Picard, who thought it was better for him to advance his career.  Would their fate have been different if he accepted the promotion and was commanding that ship instead of staying back on the Enterprise?  Would it have been the same and he'd have just died with them?  It's was one of the deepest and darkest moments of the show IMHO and just goes to show you that no matter how detailed the "standard" way of doing things is, fate can always keep you second guessing on whether or not you've made the right decisions...

I actually gave him a couple TNG episodes on his post in the Facebook group - "Chain of Command" and "Below Decks."

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: