View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Van Wormer
Science - Admiral

Awarded:

re: From my work e-mail inbox #2

Another gem found in my in-box from the NAS Pax CPO community. A bit late, but still a good read!

Good Morning All,

As I type this I look out my window and see an absolutely beautiful winter day. A windy and brisk day for sure but very nice none the less. It's about 0930 here and about 0430 in Hawaii. Not sure what their weather is like or is going to be but it's Hawaii so how bad could it be? 69 years ago it was a different story. 69 years ago today at this time not much was happening on Hawaii or at Pearle Harbor or on the air station at Kaneohe Bay (K-Bay). I am sure the watches were making rounds and waiting for relief. As it was a Sunday most Sailors and Marines were in their racks and looking forward to sleeping in or some anticipating an alarm to wake them for Sunday services. I can guarantee that no one was ready or looking forward to what came at 0748 that same morning.

There was no real warning that morning. There was an Army RADAR crew up and training on their new equipment. They saw targets inbound but assumed it was a flight of B17s returning to K-Bay. They did make a call but it went unheard. The first wave of attack by the Japanese Navy took place at 0748. We were unprepared and took heavy casualties and losses. Ninety minutes after it began, the attack was over. 2,386 Americans died (55 were civilians), a further 1,139 wounded. Eighteen ships were sunk or run aground, including five battleships. In the history of our Navy there has never been a single attack or battle that caused so much damage or death than in that one event. And at that point our Navy and its future looked pretty grim. How does anyone rebound after something like that? How does a nation respond? How does anyone think that any good can come from an event like that where so many lost their lives?

Every year I ask myself those same questions and many more. I try to put myself where those Sailors were 69 years ago. I try to vision what took place and how I would feel. And that which makes us Sailors, Americans, and WARRIORS makes it clear. We do what we have trained for; we follow the example of those that have gone before us; we let loose the fighting spirit that is in each and every one of us. We extinguish the fires; we treat the wounded; we mourn the lost; and then we get mad dog MEAN! We rebuild and we get smart, quick. We learn from our mistakes and we become proactive vice reactive. We don't sit on our hind ends and wait for the next bloody nose. We pack a sack lunch, grab a Gator-Ade and bring the fight to those foolish enough to poke us in the chest. We remember the names of those who have fallen and the ships they served on and use them as a rally cry. We become the harbinger of death and destruction and make it know throughout the world that we are THE LAST country to be messed with. It WILL be known that we will not respond in kind but we WILL take it to the next level and make every sum' Bitch that messed with us pay and pay dearly. That's what we do and that is what we did; what we continue to do.

The events that took place 69 years ago, terrible as it was, defined us as a Nation and as a fighting force. It reshaped the way our Navy fought and is still prevalent to this day. We now take the fight to someone else's country and not on our soil. We fight smarter and we use the tools of our trade to fight at a distance than slug it out battle-wagon to battle-wagon as in the "old" days. We can have 90,000 tons of U. S. sovereign flat top steel in someone's backyard in less than 72 hours raining down death from above. And we can have 5,000 of the meanest Devil Dogs on the planet delivered to a beach or LZ in the same time. We are not "big brother." It has been asked of us and will be in the future, "Just who do you think you are?" We answer honestly "We're your DADDY! Now shut your hole, get in line, and do as you are told!"

We rebuilt ourselves and have continued to grow and improve the way we do business and who we are as a fighting force these past 69 years. Let us NEVER forget the sacrifices made to get us where we are. Let us adhere to and live by our Core Values every day. Let the Sailor's Creed be in our hearts and minds as it defines who we are, what we do, and how we do it. We are professionals and WE set the example each and every day. This is not a job or a means to an end it is a calling that very few answer or will ever answer. We represent about 1 percent of the American population...1 percent. We are the chosen few who stand the watch and toe the line so that others may enjoy their rights, privileges, and freedoms. We are the ones who ensure that, not a piece of paper, or lawyers, or politicians...WE DO! We ensure that the laws written on that paper, that are enforced by those lawyers, and manipulated by the politicians are adhered to and freely pursued. Never forget who you are or where we came from. I challenge you all to research, not only the events of December 7th, 1941, but what took place afterwards. I challenge you to look to our past and the rich heritage and traditions of the Navy, to prepare yourself and our Sailors for the future. I ask that each and every one of you take just a few seconds to reflect on this day and remember the sacrifices made by our fallen brothers-in-arms and those who are in harm's way today. And never forget the families and what they have and are giving today. Remember always lest we forget and please share this with your Sailors. Thanks.
Captain Talbot
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

re: From my work e-mail inbox #2

Forum Image

Very nice post Adm.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: