View previous topic :: View next topic  
xivim
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

re: Warp Core Breach

Personal Log, Xavier Cromwell, Stardate 2409.820.18

My first assignment out of Starfleet Academy, an old oberth class. Not quite the posting i wished for.

The Haverford is nothing to write home about. 2 Phaser Banks, and one old-style Mark I Torpedo Launcher. Crew quarters are cramped, no replicators, and a top speed of warp 7.2. We are not going anywhere fast.

Irony, it appears, is not without a sense of humor. During my first mission aboard the Haverford, we were attacked... by the Borg.

<>Excerpt from bridge files<>

Ensign Cromwell: "Sir, I'm reading 2 Borg cubes, and multiple spheres bearing down on our position."

Captain Holloway: "On screen."

Lieutenant Bora: "Aye sir."

Cromwell: "They have spotted us sir, 1 Borg cube is moving to intercept."

Holloway: "Red Alert, shields up, arm all weapons."

Lieutenant Commander Keivas: "Cube targeted, shields are up."

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Holloway: "Fire."

The ship is the rocked from side to side as Borg weapons rip through the shields and tear into the hull. The Haverford continues to fire, attempting to maneuver away from weapons fire. Cromwell squints while looking at his console, as the lights begin to flicker. A starboard console erupts in a shower of sparks, killing 2 crew members.

Keivas: "Hull breaches on desk 3 and 4, sections 32 though 48. Force fields are in place"

Cromwell notices something peculiar as he scans the Borg cube, looking for any sign of weakness.

Is that what i think it is? thinking to himself. Working the console, he attempts to narrow in on the anomaly. The ship is thrown violently around, as a giant explosion rockets the ship. Cromwell climbs back to his post, blood running down his forehead from the cut he received from his fall.

Bora: "sir, our starboard nacelle is GONE, just gone. I'm detecting fluctuations in the core, we might be looking at a core breach."

Holloway: "Holloway to engineering."

Holloway: "Holloway to anyone on deck 3"

Holloway: "Cromwell, get down to engineering, see what you can do."

Cromwell: "Aye sir"

Cromwell runs the turbo lift, stumbling as the ship continues to buckle under his feet. The turbo lift ride is quick. Upon entering engineering, he notices that all the crew members are dead.

He rushes to the Core Diagnostic Panel, and begins to work. After a few minutes of working, Cromwell curses under his breath, and hits his com badge. "Cromwell to the bridge"

Holloway: "Bridge here, hows it look?"

Cromwell: "Not good sir. Warp plasma is building up, i cant relieve the pressure. We are looking at containment failure in 4 minuets. The engineering crew is dead."

Holloway: "Rodger that, get back up..."

A violent explosion throws Cromwell across the room, as a Borg beam rips the bridge apart, killing the bridge crew instantly.

"Cromwell to bridge.... Bridge, please respond.... Computer, why cant i contact the bridge"

Computer: "The bridge has been destroyed."

Cromwell: "SON of a monkey!! Computer, reroute all command controls to my console. Begin shunting warp plasma through EPS conduits to the deflector dish. Tie in Phaser control, with a 4.5 second delay."

Computer: "Warning, Procedure is not recommended"

"Override"

Cromwell's hands are a flurry as he works on the console, attempting to line up the deflector dish with the Shield Discrepancy he located while on the bridge.

"Computer, Fire all weapons at these coordinates. Re-modulate weapons to a 3.192 rotating carrier wave. Once cohesion occurs, Release all warp plasma into the deflector dish. Begin Warp Core Ejection procedures, eject on my mark."

Weapons fire as the ship moves into range. The Borg cube continues to fire, destroying more and more of the Haverford. The computer chirps as Phaser finally match the shield frequency of the Borg shield. A brilliant blue beam erupts from the deflector, while EPS conduits all over the ship explode left and right.

Cromwell turns the ship sharply to a near vertical position, running the impulse engine to maximum, tearing the port nacelle clean off due to stresses on the hull.

"Computer, Eject the core..... NOW!"

The warp core is flung out the ventral access port, straight into the hole left in the shield by the Deflector Beam. The core collides with the hull, as the core breaches. The Borg cube shudders, and flashes brightly as the core breach tears the ship apart. The explosion sends shrapnel flying into the Haverford, as it tries to escape the dying Borg cube.

<>Excerpt ends<>

So i was promoted to Lieutenant, and given command of the Haverford, for saving almost half the crew. The ship will be in Dry dock for months, repairs will be extensive. I asked Admiral Quinn how a Lieutenant can be in command of a star ship, and he responded by telling me that with the return of the Borg, and the war with the Klingons, We need ship commanders badly, and rank does not matter as much as ability.

So here i sit, 3 months out of the academy, with my own command. There is only one thing i am certain of at this time. This ship is mine, and she is amazing.

Last edited by xivim on 08/23/11 20:59; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

I like it! give me more very well done.

Resist when surrounded, Fight when you have to, And obey orders explicitly when in danger.

The Art of Warfare SUN-TZU
AUGERSON U.S.M.C. (Ret)
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Very nice sir, really enoyed it.... Yes please more.....

Jump to: