View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
you-kick-my-dog

re: Season 11 "New Dawn"

So it looks like we are finally going to be able to control and activate out inactive ships. It some what seems we might be taking a trip back in to the mirror universe. thoughts? Link provided below.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9488023-star-trek-online%3A-season-11-new-dawn

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Waiting for them to announce a new exploration system... ya know.. cause that's what we do in Star Trek... explore.. :)

Terrible feeling their going to make it less of an "exploration" and more of a grind....

VADM Wulfric Richter CoS
Tactical - Vice Admiral

you-kick-my-dog wrote:

Terrible feeling their going to make it less of an "exploration" and more of a grind....

It's called embracing the MMO experience.

So now we're a fleet full of Admirals? I'd love some more focus on option to just be a Captain of a Starship

KnightnBlu lol so.....much.....grind

Huck I agree! Id also like the see the bridge serve an actual purpose.

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

New Dawn Trailer

I just hope this has a good bit more to offer.  Even in Delta Rising they filled it with a grind to level up instead of a continuous flow of story content.  I'm tired of boring Rep systems to level............ I just don't know about this game anymore.  I liked it better when it was less MMOish and less garbage in game.  I love it, but I see leaving it behind in the near future.  It's something I don't want, but there are too many other options out there for games with more to them.  If Star Wars really goes to a more story driven gameplay, I'm going to look moving over there.

Awarded:

Huckabee40 wrote:

I just hope this has a good bit more to offer.  Even in Delta Rising they filled it with a grind to level up instead of a continuous flow of story content.  I'm tired of boring Rep systems to level............ I just don't know about this game anymore.  I liked it better when it was less MMOish and less garbage in game.  I love it, but I see leaving it behind in the near future.  It's something I don't want, but there are too many other options out there for games with more to them.  If Star Wars really goes to a more story driven gameplay, I'm going to look moving over there.

Sorry I'm gonna have to pick on you a bit Huck cause I hate seeing this gripe. For the grind, you have to realize that the story content that was in Delta Rising was a look at the WHOLE and not just 50 to 60, heck I don't even think it was in the whole leveling scheme at all since leveling as a whole is a bit too fast in my opinion since my D-recruit hit 50(no xp boosts) before the middle of the Cardi Arc. Even my Romulans hit 50 at around that time (also no exp boosts) As for the Reps SW has those too, but granted they are a little less intrusive into gameplay but those reps still have to be grinded if you want something from that particular vendor.

You wouldn't be the first to pick on my opinion because it don't equal your own, so by all means. 

Delta Rising is no doubt the best Season we've had for story content. When I play a story, I like to be able to continue that story.  If not, to have it waiting there when I want to continue it.  Not to be forced to do something I've already done a million times, just to access that story.  That's what Delta Rising did.  Their current style, like the old Featured Episode style, I don't mind it one bit.  It doesn't force me to break down a grind wall to play it.  Leave the grind for the Rep systems.  If they didn't feel they had enough stories to reach lvl 60....then I wish they would have made more missions.  When I first started this game, the story got me to level 45ish before I had to do any grinding(minus KDF side of things, good gracious the grind on that).  If it takes no time to level to 50 now, well then they broke something and need to look at adjusting things, in my opinion.

STO Reps aren't all that bad.  You can play one queue and it will give you enough points to stock a few days worth of supplies for the holdings to earn XP.  But it's getting old that new season=new rep grind.  Remember when Dilithium was used to replace all those marks you needed for different vendors?  Now we got more marks then ever before.  It's not so bad if you make another character, then you can focus on the Rep you know you want gear from that's worth the effort.  But then again, new rep equals new traits.  So you gotta do that if you want a certain buff.

I said if Star Wars delivers what they promise with new expansion, "a return to BioWare cinematic storytelling" (so there's no confusion what I mean), I would look that way.  That suggestion that I am looking for good story, which in turn means I probably ain't interested in their Rep systems anyway.  If I did start playing it again and it is awesome story, then I probably won't care about a little grind here and there.  BioWare and EA can put out awesome games with stories and I already know that I love how they do it.

I know I'm looking at this negative, before some smartass tells me I am.  Maybe it's just my time of getting burnt out on the MMO grind of things, maybe STO is taking a route that no longer makes it enjoyable for me, or it's the fact for various reasons the fleet don't draw me in like it use to...........either way STO doesn't get me to log in like it did, and I miss that.  Instead I play other games and find myself eager about others coming out that might fill the void I feel now with STO.  While the whole time I think "Man, I want to play to Star Trek."  Then when I do log on, I sit here........find nothing I want to do in game........log off.  I hate it.

My hope is Season 11 is fantastic, nothing else.  I'd just like an option for more an RP/story route.  One that makes sense, not one that litters space with Fleet Admirals.  But that's the full detail version of my previous post regarding my opinion........maybe I should of started with that to avoid being picked on.

Awarded:

That "burn-out" is why I tend to fade in and out with my play and participation in STO. I never "force" myself to log in to STO (or any other game, for that matter) that I'm not really interested in playing. Allow yourself that cycle of on and off again.

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:

That "burn-out" is why I tend to fade in and out with my play and participation in STO. I never "force" myself to log in to STO (or any other game, for that matter) that I'm not really interested in playing. Allow yourself that cycle of on and off again.

The problem is, at least for me, that it's not actually "burn-out". It's more of I've done all the stuff, got all the shiney's now what? And Cryptic's typically answer is....here's a new Rep system to get more shiney's! And yes they will occasionally sprinkle in some new story, that takes all of 10 minutes to play. Then it turns into a "Every week we'll give you a new shiney if you replay our mission!" game. 

Player's like Huck and myself, we're stuck here, not because we love the game STO, but we love the intellectual property of Star Trek. And unfortunately, this is the best game on the market for this IP. We want meaningful story over new "shiney" shit that does nothing but increase the power creep, and unfortunately, meaningful story is not really Cryptics strong point (i.e. we've spent 5 years building up the Iconians! They are behind EVERYTHING that has happened! and...... we're gonna wrap it up in 6 months with some lack luster stories, and some cameo voice over work. Fuck you guys, buy lock boxes! YOLO!) . 

All of this is a big reason why you don't see me on my main toon very often, grinding away like a second job. I'm on alt's, doing RP (not the Runaz kind!, but the fun pew-pew kind :P ) with other people in the same boat. And you guys that keep telling Huck to "suck it up", "this is an MMO, get used to it"are seriously NOT helping.  Minimizing another Fleet members opinion, just because you are "sick of the gripe" is bullshit. People are griping about it because level pacing is a legitimate problem in this game. Just because you don't mind it doesn't mean it isn't.

To the posts above, thank you.  The first time I felt "burnt-out" on STO, I did Fallout: Las Vegas to break up the "daily doff/mission" grind.  Some nights, it seems like STO has become more like a job/chore than mind candy.  The only real  joy (for no better word) on STO these days is Kick-a-Tribble and Fleet events.   Other than that, it is endless grinding for Dilithium for upgrading gear and fleet projects.   I could spend lots of real cash for Zen and get my MK 14 gear that way, but to me, that's cheating.  "Something given has no value" (Capt Rasczak, Starship Troopers) comes to mind.   I have been told by other to try out more foundry missions, which I will.  Meanwhile, every other night, I attempt to play World of Warships, which turns out to be a bit of a grind as well.

Capt Huck, if I would be so bold to suggest that you put away STO for awhile and try something old, but totally grand in the gaming world - Fallout 3.  Heck, for all the help you have given me over the years, PM your Steam name, and I will gift to you.  Just the basic, you decide if you want the DLC's.  (The DLC "Point Lookout" could of just as easily been done in the Virginia/North Carolina/WV mountains.) 

On a happy note, I just got my new rig up and running.  "Upgraded" to Windows 10, and uploaded STO, WoW, and Star Citizen.  Last night was the first time I every entered my hanger on Star Citizen.  (Note to self:  buy the Buggy)   The first ship on the main dock was my Freelancer MIS; after the walk around and going aboard her, it was nothing but gamers delight.   Now if I can only figure out how to get the rest of my ships in hanger. 

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Wupteedo wrote:

On a happy note, I just got my new rig up and running.  "Upgraded" to Windows 10, and uploaded STO, WoW, and Star Citizen.  Last night was the first time I every entered my hanger on Star Citizen.  (Note to self:  buy the Buggy)   The first ship on the main dock was my Freelancer MIS; after the walk around and going aboard her, it was nothing but gamers delight.   Now if I can only figure out how to get the rest of my ships in hanger. 

Qapla'

How many ships do you have that are hangar ready? If you go to the RSI website go to the upper right side my RSI, then go my hangar, you will see the configuration button under hangar you will see the ships that are hangar ready then drag them over the empty hangar slots that you have. Hope this helps...

Awarded:

EvildeadXL wrote:
Capt pRett wrote:

The problem is, at least for me, that it's not actually "burn-out". It's more of I've done all the stuff, got all the shiney's now what? And Cryptic's typically answer is....here's a new Rep system to get more shiney's! And yes they will occasionally sprinkle in some new story, that takes all of 10 minutes to play. Then it turns into a "Every week we'll give you a new shiney if you replay our mission!" game. 

Player's like Huck and myself, we're stuck here, not because we love the game STO, but we love the intellectual property of Star Trek. And unfortunately, this is the best game on the market for this IP. We want meaningful story over new "shiney" shit that does nothing but increase the power creep, and unfortunately, meaningful story is not really Cryptics strong point (i.e. we've spent 5 years building up the Iconians! They are behind EVERYTHING that has happened! and...... we're gonna wrap it up in 6 months with some lack luster stories, and some cameo voice over work. Fuck you guys, buy lock boxes! YOLO!) . 

All of this is a big reason why you don't see me on my main toon very often, grinding away like a second job. I'm on alt's, doing RP (not the Runaz kind!, but the fun pew-pew kind :P ) with other people in the same boat. And you guys that keep telling Huck to "suck it up", "this is an MMO, get used to it"are seriously NOT helping.  Minimizing another Fleet members opinion, just because you are "sick of the gripe" is bullshit. People are griping about it because level pacing is a legitimate problem in this game. Just because you don't mind it doesn't mean it isn't.

MIFP Awarded.  +100, would read again.

The gaming community gets the games they deserve, just like everything else in life.  MMO mechanics are driven by player behavior, which are noted and researched by dev teams and penny pinchers.  They have to walk a balancing act between keeping the game fun and being profitable.  I don't like it when people are overly negative and critical of everything that happens in STO, but I also am aware of the games shortcomings.  I agree that the pendulum has swung more towards profitability and away from fun, story driven gaming.  And it's not just STO, other MMO's share this issue.

I also agree with the idea of finding yourself a good single player game as a diversion.  Don't just play STO because you feel like you have to finish whatever the new rep is, just because its there.  If it's not fun, then fuck that rep system and the rewards that go with it.  The reward should be playing, and if playing in and of itself offers no reward, move on to something else.  Come back to STO later.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: