View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Gerron Vek

re: REgarding KOTOR Online

So I've been busying myself palying through KOTOR and KOTOR 2 recently. Thats why I've not been in game as much Happy With KOTOR Online going F2P I noticed that the story content is going to be free.

Now I've always said I would have tried KOTOR Online if it was a single player story like the other games where. I might even be willing to shell a little money into that game for character customization and the like. However what I want to know is this. How does KOTOR Onlines story stack up with the old KOTOR games? Please be Spoiler free in your response. I'm not looking for a new MMO to play but I do like the setting. Would it be interesting and/or good as a single player experience?
Kazzodoom

I just started playing the old republic online myself, and like you I am a big fan of KOTOR and KOTOR II. I have only tried out one charactor to level 10 and so far the story is ok, I am hoping it gets a bit better! Only wish there where more conversation options.

Although I may have to look a customisation of the controls because right click for everything is really anoying with a rollerball!

Other folks that have been playing longer will give you a more full review

“Misdirection is the key to survival, never attack what your enemy defends, never behave as your enemy expects, and never reveal your true strength, if knowledge is power then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.” A Romulan, apparently.
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

I have to admit I really enjoy playing. With each class there is a storyline and with 4 classes per side thats 8 different stories you can see. Now of course getting all your characters through those stories is what takes time, but it is very KOTORish in the fact that you do have a companion much like the two you get in the first 2. the only thing that really bugged me is that your choices dont really affect your story all that much at times an then at other times a person dies out of the blue cause u missed a convo option in a previous cutscene. all in all though i greatly enjoy it

I have played a Smuggler, and a Sith Warrior to 50.

The Empire by far has the better storyline, as well as visuals. It just seems like more care was taken with this faction in all facets of the game.

The smuggler was terrible. I so wanted to enjoy this story, but it is constantly plagued by plot holes that try to get you into the action as it were. I felt like my character was just an afterthought and little that i did actually played into the larger story.

On the Sith warrior however you were the focus of what is going on. It seems that the Jedi knight/ Sith warrior are the "main" classes of the game, and where the major plot points take place. Everybody else just sort of rides along.

Companions, and choice are where this game differs from other Bioware games. Choice is non existent except for superficial light/dark choices that rarely matter to the plot. Companions in my mind are done little better than BOFFs in this game. They have some dialog, and spout some words at you, but do little in the way of actual meaningful interaction.

In fact one of my biggest disappointments was as i was talking to one of my first companions, and was getting close to unlocking a part of his story. He was talking about going after a rival, and that he had found the right system. The companion asked me if he could go get his rival, and me expecting this to be a quest we would go on together in true Bioware fashion said yes. The screen faded to black lit back up, and my companion informed me his task was successful.

No quest no reward, just another bit of empty dialog. Needless to say i was a bit sad.

That being said, i did level two characters to 50, and will more than likely be doing more when this goes free. It is fun to play, and there are a few shining moments of that old Bioware storytelling that shine through.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I can't speak to how SWTOR is or isn't like KOTOR, as I never played KOTOR I/II. I did enjoy TOR, though, for the month or so I played. I had a Smuggler to 27 and a Powertech to about the same level, along with a smattering of other classes to the low 20s and mid teens.

Once it goes F2P, I will very likely dip back in it from time to time. I just can't afford to pay $15 a month for a game I only play on occasion.

Adm pRett wrote:
I can't speak to how SWTOR is or isn't like KOTOR, as I never played KOTOR I/II. I did enjoy TOR, though, for the month or so I played. I had a Smuggler to 27 and a Powertech to about the same level, along with a smattering of other classes to the low 20s and mid teens.

Once it goes F2P, I will very likely dip back in it from time to time. I just can't afford to pay $15 a month for a game I only play on occasion.

Same here, I'd like to finish out my trooper and bounty hunter, maybe roll a jedi. But the game didn't spark my interest enough to pay $15 a month.

haven't played tor but i had to say to adm pPrett if you can find them kotor 1&2 are must plays. granted some of the characters are annoying ( i'm looking at you carth ) but i have played through both multiple times and always enjoy it.
Gerron Vek

KOTOR 1 and 2 are on Steam. In fact KOTOR 2 was released last week on steam. Thats why Its caught my attention again. KOTOR 1 is great. KOTOR 2 suffered from a rushed development cycle which urt its ending, however a community restoration patch fixed alot of it.
Frank Murphy

i know this is changing the subject but,
speaking of star wars games, has anyone played rebellion (and knows where to get a copy) used to love that one too.
also would like to see an update to the x-wing / T.I.E. fighter series
Frank Murphy

ThomasMarik wrote:
KOTOR 1 and 2 are on Steam. In fact KOTOR 2 was released last week on steam. Thats why Its caught my attention again. KOTOR 1 is great. KOTOR 2 suffered from a rushed development cycle which urt its ending, however a community restoration patch fixed alot of it.

yes and there were doors that looked like they would open on the map but didn't
realy wish they would make a direct continuation to the seiries

sorry for the double post
Frank Murphy

i'm gonna give it a try its patching now just need to know if were republic or empire?
Frank Murphy

holly cow been patching for about 6 hours and only half done need to stop for K.A.T.
CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

dmextreme wrote:
an update to the x-wing / T.I.E. fighter series

This I would love. I miss those games.

yup played all 4 plus all expansions only one i wasn't crazy about wax X-WING vs. T.I.E
Cleo Mavendorf
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

I just got X-Wing Alliance working on windows 7 yesterday....added in a graphics update and viola! Fun gameplay with graphics that don't look quite as dated.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: