View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next

Should this become our primary, front page recruiting video?
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Option B

Forum Image

Usually after putting together a video with the scope of the recent 4 year anniversary vid, a lot of pretty good scenes get left on the cutting room floor. So, not long after finishing something like that, I'll gather up some of the ones that didn't make the initial edit and make a second video from them.

I started that process again about a week ago, and the process begins with figuring out what music I want to use. I had been searching around for something inspiring and, not finding anything, dug through music I already had.

The choice I made changed how I approached what I was doing. I have been keeping this particular music selection in my back pocket for a long time. For one, it's fairly widely utilized. Second, I find it to be a very powerful piece, and if I was going to use it, I was going to need a lot of great shots. So, having decided to use this particular piece of music, I moved away from restricting myself to B reels and started to include all of my favorite shots that I've compiled over the last couple of years.

I hope you guys like it. Let me know if you think it should replace our current primary recruiting video or not.

Last edited by sparrow794 on 07/20/13 2:47; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Tough choice; that one gave me chills!

Awarded:

OMG I NEED TO GO WATCH A MOVIE IN 3D SO I CAN KEEP THE GLASSES AND WATCH THIS IN 3D!!!

Is that an option with MovieMaker or was that done through Youtube?

Not privy, nor do I want to be, to the thinking of the higher-ups of what the actual goals are for recruiting. But I do have a background in public relations (PR Flak) in the real world. I have absolutely no knowledge of what you do or how you do it, but I do know it requires time, effort, resources, and dedication. Hopefully, you enjoy it as well. Well done, sir.

That said, just take a look at these two video for some ideas. Note the use of a narrators and printed text in the video's. BTW, the music is fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRwxlDK0R1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

Questions for recruiting: Who do we want in the 7th Fleet? Then you tailor the message or theme for there. Based on what I heard on Ventrilo, especially from this side of the world, most have the perfect voices for radio and we use the toons as the faces. We are an exception fleet and therefore it should be a honor and privilege to belong. "Ask not what the 7th Fleet can do for you, but what can you do for the 7th Fleet?" "Do you have what it takes to be in the 7th Fleet? "What three words best describe the 7th Fleet." (sorry, brain storming).

Respectfully,

LCDR Smaug
Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Can we have an option "C"

Awarded:

Shack, I like it. It looks good, but needs a proper ending. And I think it would make a great recruiting tool. You have my vote.

Smaug, That one video that blends the mediocre Film from a great Heinlein book, Starship Troopers (the film is known to be based off the board game more so than the book) -was just down right scary. Sorry, just my thoughts.

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

nice work buddy wink

WOOHOO I WAS IN THE VIDEO LOL I WAS IN THE LAST WARP OUT SCENE LOL HAHA GOOD VIDEO

Awarded:

Awesome video!
Lang S
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Never a dull moment......I like the close up ship fly-by's ...very trek and very hard to pull off with demorecord ....nicely done

wouldn't change a thing sir, great job

Hate to say it sir, but I have to agree with my brother (frank). Very well done.
Thunor Stryker
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

Awesome! Very well done sir!

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
- George S. Patton

"Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
- Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy
Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:
Tough choice; that one gave me chills!

I think my favorite part is at about 1:20; the big ol' Ody with the horns blaring is pretty hot shit...

Anton Mercer wrote:
OMG I NEED TO GO WATCH A MOVIE IN 3D SO I CAN KEEP THE GLASSES AND WATCH THIS IN 3D!!!

Is that an option with MovieMaker or was that done through Youtube?

I didn't do anything different that I normally do, so this might be some kind of youtube functionality.

Wupteedo wrote:

Respectfully,

LCDR Smaug

Well spoken. Consider our original recruiting video, done by Admiral Turner:

I have always wanted to 'remaster' this, but I have some problems - first, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, where he got the music. Second, I don't have after effects or any other fancy video software beyond a hobbyist level editing program - so trying to figure out how to do some of the transporter effects with the text is beyond my capabilities.

I agree with some of your points; there isn't really a clear recruitment driven message in any of the videos we currently use. But, I do feel they definitely convey a sense that 1) we play together; there's several good scenes where there are 15-20 of us; 2) we're organized, because in those scenes where there is more than just a couple people, we're standing in a formation, or otherwise synched, and 3) we take the game seriously enough that we cover the entirety of available content. There are scenes from STF's, from fleet actions, from missions, and so forth. So, a picture is a worth 1000 words, but your critiques are certainly valid.

Lang S wrote:
Never a dull moment......I like the close up ship fly-by's ...very trek and very hard to pull off with demorecord ....nicely done

Thank you sir. Given your experience with the tool I appreciate the compliment.

I try to watch the overall scene a few times to get a good idea for a where a given ship I want to focus on is going to be at a given time, and setup my path to be near that point slightly prior to the ships arrival; but I think the key is compressing your camera points in very short intervals for flybys. I will press 'play,' let it run for about a second, position the camera, and put it in the exact time down to the thousandth of the second. Repeat this process for several points for the flyby portions and they usually turn out pretty good.

Awarded:

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin wrote:
Can we have an option "C"

While I know the Fleet Admiral is just yanking my chain, in light of some of the critiques on what a recruiting video's message should be, an option C is being explored.

Expect a new draft soon. I'll be collaborating with Evildead for some special touches...

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: