View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

re: Science builds

Driving across the country for a few days and look at all the fun you miss.  Running two Science Captains, I great appreciate the post above.  Thanks to all for posting.

Made we think that we should have one or two days a month set aside for Science Captains to hang out and work on the details of our ships.  (Weird Science Night??)

Cheers

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Jim Dangle

Might as well throw mine out there as well.  I modeled this after Mr. Davis's drain build and I'm still playing around with it.  But with this I can consistently get 1st & 2nd place on Gorn minefield, and Starbase 24, where I think dps is a major factor.  It does rock but I know there is room for improvement still.  I am considering the Jem'Hadar Set also, but Lobi is not easy to come by.  If anyone has any suggestions/questions, feel free to comment.  (also I don't know how to embed links like you guys, sorry)

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=dangleintrepid_0

-Dangle

**Edit: Mr. Wupteedo, I just got my Klingon Science up to 50 and a fairly decent build on her, look forward to doing Klingony stuff with that one :)

Capt pRett wrote:

I'm honestly surprised to see a beam array Ha'nom instead of one with cannons. I know as a Science ship, it isn't going to be the DPS master anyway (unless you're a player like Mr. Davis who uber-optimizes - not a criticism), but I figured to try and pump as much out as you can you'd go with cannons. I may have to consider switching to beam arrays for mine (though not in a Fleet Ha'nom yet).

My Science ship - like Mr. Davis's - is based on power drain. Plus GW damage which bypasses shields; DPS is not so important to me - I win with survivability greater than my opponent's. I've always considered taking into account pure DPS as a main measurement of success in a combat as risky, or even incorrect (no offense intended!).

Two important things to note about beams:

1) Beams have one great advantage over cannons - subsystem targeting, which adds greatly to power draining abilities.

2) Secondly, likewise Mr Davis, I lack necessary turn rate to play with cannons (science vessels lack Eng console slots), I'd need slow down to maneuver, and as an outcome get hit way too often. Therefore, again, beams are better for me.

Awarded:

This is how I have my Ha'nom set up. Obviously, a work in progress, since it doesn't completely have purple Mk XII fleet stuff. As I'm typing this, I realized I didn't include its shield, deflector, impulse or singularity core info, or any of its devices. To get that, feel free to have a look here.

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

This is what my science captain is flying these days.  Whether it's effective for PvP is questionable; the power drain builds are best suited for that arena.

But for stomping the shit out of PvE it's been great fun to fly.  Good mix of survivability, dps, and crowd control.  It should be noted this is the free dyson destroyer, not a zen store version.  No real world cash has been spent on anything.  Click the image for the full size.

I had been thinking about picking up a vesta, or going for a fleet intrepid; but considering how much I'm enjoying this ship I might look into a zen version.  I like the way it flies, I like the way it fights, and I like the way it looks.  The beams and cannons have gorgeous visuals (on maps where I can see them, anyway).  And I don't think proton damage is something many mobs, are even players, are set up to resist very well.

Last edited by sparrow794 on 09/04/14 13:36; edited 2 times in total

I really love the image you put together for your ship! Awesome job Shack!

TrendorLeises

sparrow794 wrote:

This is what my science captain is flying these days.  Whether it's effective for PvP is questionable; the power drain builds are best suited for that arena.

But for stomping the shit out of PvE it's been great fun to fly.  Good mix of survivability, dps, and crowd control.  It should be noted this is the free dyson destroyer, not a zen store version.  No real world cash has been spent on anything.  Click the image for the full size.

I had been thinking about picking up a vesta, or going for a fleet intrepid; but considering how much I'm enjoying this ship I might look into a zen version.  I like the way it flies, I like the way it fights, and I like the way it looks.  The beams and cannons have gorgeous visuals (on maps where I can see them, anyway).  And I don't think proton damage is something many mobs, are even players, are set up to resist very well.

How do you get that ship?

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

It was one you could earn during the 4th anniversary, so sadly, it isn't available any longer.  Sometimes they revisit these things, like they are with the Ambassador class they're giving away this weekend (so make sure you don't miss out on that).  It's not quite as good as the zen versions, either, but its good enough.

Awarded:

I enjoy the Dyson Science Destroyer on the character I use it for. It never leaves Science Mode (or whatever it's called), so the hard-mounted cannons never get used, but that's fine by me. It's possibly a bit squishier than a Fleet Frisbee (Nebula), but definitely moves a lot smoother than it.

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Tactical mode can be handy, for me it just depends on how useful GW3 is.  If I'm doing Crystalline Entity, I never go into tactical; but if I'm doing Undine Assualt or something, I might switch back and forth.  The cooldown isn't terribly long to switch modes, so firing off a GW3, then switching to tac mode and firing off scatter volley with the isometric charge into the group is pretty effective.  Tac mode is also great for engaging something like the planet killer at the end Undine Assault, where you can just sit there and wail on a high health target.  It takes some getting used to, like the Chimera, but knowing when to switch modes can definitely make the ship more effective.

But I've also built the ship around doing proton damage, so not taking advantage of the cannons would be silly.

I just recently dropped Emergency Power to Shields II and replaced it with Engineering Team II.  Found with my other abilities I had plenty of shield heal, but with events like CE and stuff my hull was taking quite the beating with not enough repair toward it.  So far it's working really good.  I'd advise considering an Engineer Team to anyone that has a Transfer Shield Strength or Science Team already equipped.

Awarded:

Huckabee40 wrote:

I just recently dropped Emergency Power to Shields II and replaced it with Engineering Team II.  Found with my other abilities I had plenty of shield heal, but with events like CE and stuff my hull was taking quite the beating with not enough repair toward it.  So far it's working really good.  I'd advise considering an Engineer Team to anyone that has a Transfer Shield Strength or Science Team already equipped.

Ya good call, actually.  Updated my loadout.  Switched to an officer that had Engineering Team 1 and DEM1.  Picked up the 6th DOff Space slot too.

sparrow794 wrote:
Huckabee40 wrote:

Ya good call, actually.  Updated my loadout.  Switched to an officer that had Engineering Team 1 and DEM1.  Picked up the 6th DOff Space slot too.

I've never done the 6th slot myself.........I've even forgot where to do that if you could point me in that direction.  I'd like to add another Grav Sci Doff to boost my GW3.

Awarded:

Huckabee40 wrote:
sparrow794 wrote:
Huckabee40 wrote:

I've never done the 6th slot myself.........I've even forgot where to do that if you could point me in that direction.  I'd like to add another Grav Sci Doff to boost my GW3.

It's at the spire.  However, you can only have one Gravimetrics officer on your active roster at a time.

thanks.......well that sucks

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: